Affinity Works are young, ambitious software and services company operating in the UK local government sector. We are engaged with over 50 Local Authorities and have a strong reputation working with public sector data to generate powerful, interactive analytical tools.
Our data and analytics services work with data captured locally by Local Authorities and maximise the insights that can be derived from it, either through benchmarking it against other similar organisations, or by contextualizing it with relevant open source data. Our products and projects cover areas including health and social care, employment and skills and the 3rd sector.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to join a small but growing business, taking hands-on responsibility for delivering successful outcomes across our expanding data analytics portfolio, with huge scope for professional development.
We have a large and growing customer base that rely on business intelligence to provide evidence to support key business decisions. Our customers use reports and dashboards that we develop and maintain to monitor performance, identify trends, predict outcomes, make efficiencies and manage their markets.
This highly creative role would sit within our BI development team with a particular focus on designing, developing and optimizing front end BI reports and dashboards. We are looking for a candidate with strong design skills to make reports and dashboards that meet high UX and accessibility standards and are also visually engaging.
Desired role skills vs full-stack BI Developer skill groups:
- Work with clients to formulate/review user stories ahead of the design/development phase
- Sketch/wireframe designs and options informed by user research, design and data visualisation best practices (e.g. Gestalt/common UX principles)
- Develop dynamic, visually engaging, reports/dashboards that satisfy or exceed the user requirements (typically using agile methodology)
- Develop with consistency and purpose to establish a company style at a high standard
- Review legacy reports/dashboards and improve their design/UX
Skills and Experience
- Educated to at least A level/equivalent or have relevant vocational experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- General or technology design qualification
- Demonstrable experience of report and dashboard design/ development with Power BI
- Basic understanding of DAX (particularly for front-end functions e.g. dynamic titles)
- Basic understanding of data modelling theory/star schema
- Experience with graphic design tools for image editing/illustration
- Experience or interest in creative data visualization with tools like Charticulator/D3.js, R/Shiny
- Enthusiastic, innovative and passionate about design and the impact it has on products
- An analytical approach to problem solving
- Happy to travel to client sites (infrequently and post-COVID)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Able to give a good demo and engage an audience
To apply for this role please send your CV and any supporting material (e.g. samples of previous work) to email@example.com